Well-established (since 1984) Keelona Farm is located in Charlottesville, Virginia, in southern Albemarle County. We are easily convenient to Charlottesville and 20 minutes from Interstate rt 64. The facility sits on 75 acres surrounded by Farmington Hunt territory and thousands of miles of open riding trails. Our neighbors to the back are Mark and Mimi Combs who run their top-level eventing and training barn. To the north are Trump Vineyards.
For the last 15 years we have been specializing in detailed “elder care” for retired hunter jumpers. These horses receive the best in care and attention. Under our watchful eye we manage for your horse, administration of treatments or meds as per veterinarian and/or farrier instructions. Comprehensive daily grooming, hand walking and/or turn out as needed. Development and implementation of individual treatment/fitness/nutrition plan
that can be adjusted according to needs. Frequent communication and updates to owners, vets and trainers. Pampered retirement for the equine athlete. Riding to fitness is also available. Owner lives on property with 24/7 monitoring.
The riding territory that we have is stellar and probably one of the best in the county. We have clean, open fields, hills to work for fitness, water crossings and mountain trails. For the eventer it is a dream location. If you are a foxhunter, you can hunt 5 days a week from this location. Farmington, Keswick, Bull Run, Rockbridge and Oakridge are all accessible from Keelona. We also have an outdoor schooling option for ring work.
I live on the farm adjacent to the barn with my family. Your horses are always visible to us and someone is on the property 24/7. If needed we can do nighttime checks on your horse if he is injured or close to foaling out. Know that we are always here and take excellent and detailed care of your horse.
The PJ Williams 14-stall custom built barn was designed by my mother, Virginia Ann Klumpp, and built in 1984. The barn is centrally located on the property and offers many options for turnout. We have the flexibility that a foaling mare or injured horse on its way to recovery will need. We have a monitored observation room with full bath and shower if an overnight watch is needed. It is within the close service range to four or more veterinary hospitals. Blue Ridge Equine, Georgetown Vet, Keswick equine, Dr. Jen La Plume to name a few.
The barn itself has an indoor track for walking and jogging with stalls in the center.
There is an efficient 4-fan ventilation system in the roof that pulls air up and out in the hot weather. Radiating out from the barn are many options for private turn out that can be large or small, pasture or dry lot, most with run in sheds and fans. The stalls are 12 x 12 with several 12 x 24 foaling stalls and an observation room. Fencing is horse-safe woven Kentucky Diamond wire with top boards. For a stallion or isolation, there is a top board electric line.
We offer stall and turn out/field board with pricing based on level of care and needs of the horse and our clients. Please call me to discuss your needs and I can give you a monthly fee. Our board includes individualized feeding program, we will feed any supplements you provide, water, stall cleaning, daily turn-out and blanketing (weather permitting), coordinated shoeing and veterinary programs & vet follow-up, and the use of riding arenas, trails and barn facilities.
Holding Fee for Farrier & Veterinarians
Administering Injections does not include medications
Trailering and transport
Keelona Farm can provide:
• Administration of treatments or meds as per veterinarian and/or farrier instructions.
• Comprehensive daily grooming, hand walking and/or turn out as needed.
• Development and implementation of individual treatment/fitness/nutrition plan
that can be adjusted according to need.
• Frequent communication and updates to owners, vets and trainers.
• Diligent care, proper feeding for the pregnant mare prior to delivery along with
foal watch, delivery and mare and foal care. • Pampered retirement for the equine athlete
• Riding to fitness is also available. • Owner lives on property • 24/7 monitoring
To help your equine partner become the best they can be,
our team is composed of the following dedicated individuals:
Susan Davey has an extensive resume that briefly consists of:
• Student horsemanship program instructor at Brown Ledge Camp
• Studied advanced horsemanship under famed equine author and trainer Gordon Wright
at Secor Farms in Westchester, NY
• 3-time Medal-Maclay finalist in Madison Square Garden
• Studied horsemanship at Madrid Cavalry School (Spain)
• First woman accepted into Pre-Vet Program at Cornell University
• Clinic manager of Nogales (AZ) Vet Clinic for four years (small/large animal facility)
• First woman to be registered member of United States Polo Association
• Trained “Bonjour” (TB), “BonVoyage” (TB), and “Soraya” (TB) to win U.S.P.A. Best Playing Pony Award in High-goal Southeastern Circuit
• Has owned and managed 16-stall barns on farms and ranches in NY, Calif., Arizona,
New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Virginia
• Member of Oak Ridge Hunt Club; Middleburg Polo Club
• Currently owns and runs Lions Watch Farm, a 300-acre hay, cattle, and horse facility
in Albemarle County, VA (since 1976).
Lucia Evans-Morse, daughter of the late Virginia Klumpp and owner of
Keelona Farm, is continuing the legacy of her mother’s championship Holsteiner bloodlines and is a Member of The American Holsteiner Association. As part of her varied equine background she was a Junior Member of the Fairfax Hunt Club, a Junior rider in the A Circuit with Janet Hitchen and Ray Carter, flat raced ponies with training from Randy Rouse and Tee Barnes, was a Pony Club Member in Northern Virginia, and later trained at Madeira School in horsemanship with Madge Barkley and Mildred Gaines. She is a hands-on farm owner, experienced with foaling out, imprinting and raising successful young stock. As a Farmer Member of the Farmington Hunt Club, she enjoys foxhunting and trail riding.
Please call me, Lucia Evans-Morse, at 434-962-4893 with any questions or to schedule a visit.